Author: Bruce Parsons
Date Posted: March 30 2020
What About Rent?
Tenants who can pay their rent must do so, to the best of their abilities. Landlords are entitled to collect compensation from a tenant for each day that an eviction order is not enforced. However, tenants who are asked to self-isolate or who can’t work may have difficulty paying their rent.
We encourage landlords and tenants to work together during this difficult time to establish fair arrangements to keep tenants in their homes.
Tenants who are having challenges paying rent should speak with their landlords about possibly deferring their rent or other payment arrangements.
Assistance For Tenants
If you need financial help you can:
- contact your local service manager
- apply for COVID-19 emergency assistance
- access federal government programs
Assistance For Landlords
Landlords may wish to:
- talk to their municipality about help with property taxes and municipal service fees
- inquire with their mortgage lender about mortgage payment deferrals
- investigate federal government programs